Friday, November 21, 2008

Renaissance Soul

A while back I read a book called The Renaissance Soul by Margaret Lobenstine. It is a book written for those of us who have "too many passions to pick just one." When I heard about the book, I was giddy; finally a book to help me solve the whole what-to-do-with-my-life puzzle. The book was helpful in that it gave me a tribe to associate with and made me feel like less of a square peg. The problem is that being a Renaissance Soul was much more acceptable during the Renaissance. Today, people are expected to fit into neat categories; you're either an artist or a writer or a musician or a dancer or an actor, not all of the above. Specialists are much easier to understand.

While I wouldn't ever want to change who I am, I sometimes fantasize that life would be much easier if I just was interested in art or only had a passion for writing. I read about other artists and writers and most have them have only ever wanted to be an artist or writer. I have to believe that my life is richer because I cannot chose just one passion, and accept that it will take a little longer to get where I want to go. I hear that 44 is the new 22, so I've got lots of time left.

No comments: