While I'm fortunate to have a small art/writing/music room in my house, I do most of my painting during open studio at the Glassell School. Whenever classes aren't in session and the building is open, students can use the painting studio. It's spacious, ventilated, well-lit and I'm not scared about getting paint everywhere. Not a private studio but pretty great for free.
Yesterday I spent about five hours there working on my final assignment of the semester. We have to do three paintings but I'm pushing myself to do four. My subject matter continues to be based old buildings and other oddities in my Houston Heights neighborhood. I'm experimenting this time by starting one of the paintings in acrylic and then finishing it in oil. Acrylic dries very quickly and I was able to block in the basic shapes and tones of the buildings at home and then finish it at the studio. Not only does oil painting take a long time to dry but it's pretty smelly, another reason to save it for the studio.
I have the basics of the four paintings blocked in and am trying to work quickly to meet my May 6th deadline. My right arm is really sore from all the mixing and painting so I'm giving it a rest today!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment