Thursday, July 30, 2009

Gallery Hopping

I am very thankful to live in Houston (yes Houston) because it has an amazing art scene. I must admit that I am often baffled by what I see at some museums/galleries but even when I am baffled, I still appreciate the creativity involved. Usually. Today I saw some absolutely amazing graphite drawings and some intricately detailed paintings at Inman Gallery, some interesting paintings and drawings at Devin Borden Hiram Butler, and some baffling child-like chicken scratches at another gallery that shall remain nameless. I guess two out of three isn't bad.

My favorite show of late has been the Big Show at Lawndale Art Center. A few friends from WIVLA have pieces in the show and overall, it is a freaking amazing show. When I go to shows like this, I go away inspired but also am reminded of the time and dedication it takes to find your style and improve as an artist. The good thing is that this doesn't discourage me. Instead it makes me want to run home and paint and know that I'll get there eventually!

1 comment:

Annyrbg said...

Yes, you will! It's a journey, not a destination. Love, Seester Anny