Thursday, August 21, 2008

Why I Love WIVLA (Women in the Visual and Literary Arts)

About two years ago, I was in a collage and assemblage class at the Museum of Fine Arts- Houston, Glassell School of Art when our instructor, Charlotte Cosgrove, had each of us introduce ourselves. After hearing that I was an artist and writer, a classmate asked if I'd ever heard of WIVLA. I almost started screaming when I found out that there was an organization in Houston that combined two of my three favorite things!

WIVLA is a wonderful organization made up of women artists and writers. We meet once a month at the Museum of Printing History to enjoy informative presentations on things of interest to artists and writers and to socialize, network and share news about our work. It's an incredibly supportive environment and I always leave meetings feeling encouraged and excited.

If you are a woman artist or writer (or both) in Houston and want to be around people who don't think you are an impractical nut job for pursuing your craft, join WIVLA today.

No comments: