Thursday, August 28, 2008

Emotional Attachments

As my paintings begin to pile up I am realizing that I either need to rent a storage unit or become less emotionally attached to my work. When I started painting a year and a half ago, I was pleasantly surprised at how well my first paintings came out and I clung to them like a security blanket. The thought of selling them never entered my mind. They were my canvas babies.

Since then I've completed many paintings, some good, some bad and some just "so-so." I've painted over the bad ones, unsuccessfully tried to sell some of the "so-so" ones, and am slowly releasing my grip on the good ones. Those are the paintings I'm proud of and believe in but are the hardest to let go of. I'm finding that quantity seems to be the antidote to emotional attachment. The more paintings I produce, the less I cling to them. What's the use of having them pile up in my studio? It's time to let my babies leave the nest and see the world.

No comments: