Sunday, January 18, 2009

Beware of Freedom

The biggest struggle I have had in quitting my job and pursuing my art is becoming self-disciplined. When I was working, all I thought about was having time to focus on my art and writing. Well, I have the time now but not enough focus. I just get so overwhelmed with all the things I want to do and don't know where to begin. I enjoyed this article by Lori Woodward Simons who is clearly in the same boat as I am.

I have a continuous tape loop running in my head of the things I want to do: I want to get better at painting and develop a looser style, I want to make intricate and cool mosaics, I want to make a bunch of 3D nature collages, I want to learn how to do stained glass, I want to work on my humor book, I want to learn how to draw cartoons, I want to edit an old essay to submit for an upcoming publication, I want to write new essays. Whew, no wonder I can't focus!

What seems to work best for me is taking classes and workshops which give me the structure and deadlines that I became accustomed to in the workplace. I've also found that going to a coffee house to write does wonders for my productivity because I'm around other people who are working as well. I just need to learn how to translate this into my studio practice. Maybe I need to install a time clock and dock myself for every hour I miss work!

No comments: