I've been at my new part-time job for two weeks now and I think it's going to work out. So far it is just the right balance of interesting and meaningful work with much less stress than other jobs I've had. I already feel more relaxed while painting and writing because I know that I have the means to pay the bills! Keep your fingers crossed for me.I'm currently working on a series of paintings that use an electric substation as reference. I used to drive by this substation every day on the way to work and am fascinated by it. The painting above, that I did last year, was my first foray into the subject.
While I love beautiful scenery and started out painting traditional southwest landscapes, I am now much more interested in painting gritty urban landscapes. I'm drawn to rust and patina, I love the strange architecture of power plants, and abandoned, decrepit buildings really send me. When you take the time to look, there is so much beauty in the mundane.

No comments:
Post a Comment